The Crafoord Foundation invites applications for grants primarily for 1-year research projects, in accordance with A (below). Some of the funds that the Foundation has at its disposal may be awarded for more long-term grants, 2–4 years, in accordance with B (below), and for larger grants in accordance with C.
Applications must be submitted via the Foundation’s website by 4pm on the first Thursday in February at the latest. You can only submit one application. However, you can be both the main applicant and co-applicant in two separate applications.
Research grants are awarded to applicants at Lund University, Malmö University, Linnaeus University, Kristianstad University, Halmstad University, Blekinge Institute of Technology and the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences in Alnarp.
- Running costs
- Personnel costs for technical staff, post-doctoral or guest researchers from other universities/countries, and partial funding of PhD position. Please note that a post-doctoral applicant must have defended their thesis at the start of the period of appointment.
- Planning of larger project applications or research programmes with national/international participants.
- Arranging high-quality conferences
- Conference trips with active participation
- Publication costs
- Research exchanges and research visits
Costs must be directly related to research activities within the project.
A supplement for overheads is permitted for personnel and running costs up to a maximum of 35%. Costs for premises are included in the supplement for overheads. Supplement for overheads may not be used for equipment.
Equipment becomes the property of the receiving institute.
Costs may be counted from 1 June 2024 at the earliest.
- Applicant’s own salary
- Personal computer and mobile phone
- Study trips
- Teaching at basic and advanced level
A. One-year research grants
The Foundation awards 1-year grants up to SEK 1 million. An applicant can be granted repeated funding but the Foundation may decide to give priority to new applicants.
The Foundation welcomes young applicants but may also grant funding to more senior researchers.
B. Two-year and four-year research grants
The Foundation awards primarily 2-year grants of up to SEK 1 million per annum, with the possibility to apply for an extension of a further two years.
The Foundation gives priority to applications from younger researchers whose activities are in a development phase.
When assessing applications, emphasis is placed on scientific quality.
An additional important factor is the project’s potential to promote the formation and development of a robust research environment at the university or college in question. The application must specify whether the project is included in or related to a larger project.
The Foundation may transfer applications for 2-year funding to 1-year funding as per A above.
Applications for 2-year funding must comply with the template for 1-year funding. In addition, the project Annex must include:
- any pilot studies and preliminary results
- planned collaboration, national and international
- explanation of why the applicant and the applicant’s environment are suitable for the project
The applicant should also present a list of their published works from the last 5 years.
If the application is for an extension of a previous application, the above instructions apply. However, such an application should include a presentation of the work that has been carried out within the project (max. 10,000 characters).
C. Larger grants
A minor part of the awarded funding may be approved for larger grants, primarily for:
- Interdisciplinary projects that are of strategic significance
An application for funding for equipment should include a project description that briefly outlines the sub-projects that will make use of the equipment.
There must be a sustainable, long-term plan for maintenance of the equipment. The following criteria must be fulfilled:
- There must be service technicians, research engineers or the equivalent in the employment of the university
- There must be premises that are suitable for the purpose
- There must be a sufficient user base
A university, faculty, institution or individual researcher may apply for the above. The application must specify an accountable principal applicant.
The main applicant must be an individual, with the exception of that stated in C.
The Foundation does not grant funding for doctoral students nor emeriti.
Applications not fulfilling the above requirements will not be considered.
Applicants are aware of and accept that, in case of grants being awarded, the Foundation publishes applicants’ names on the Foundation’s website.
The Foundation presupposes that, when results are published, it must be clearly specified that funding has been received from the Foundation. The name of the Foundation is Crafoordska stiftelsen in Swedish and, in English, The Crafoord Foundation.
Information on personal data
Global Resonsible Engagement Information
Application format in Swedish or English
Mandatory appendices, to be scanned in pdf-format, max 4 MB
- A project Annex (max 15,000 characters incl. spaces, or max 5 pages if the application includes images/diagrams)
- Applicant’s CV (max 2 pages)
- Applicant’s published papers from the last 5 years (max 5 pages)
- Other funding (max 1 page)
The project Appendix should have a short introductory summary and should include
- short background description
- problem statement
- newsworthiness of the project
- methods to be used
- expected results
- planned publication of results
- ethical considerations (if relevant for the project)
The CV should state:
- university degree (discipline/subject area)
- PhD (year, discipline/subject area)
- relevant post-doctoral visits (year and location)
- docent level (year)
- current position, period of appointment, proportion of research involved in the position
- previous academic positions and appointments (specify type of employment)
- any parental leave etc
- tutoring experience in the area of graduate education
- total number (no lists!) of published papers (peer-reviewed original work as well as summaries/book chapters and the equivalent)
- research grants received in the last 5 years
Other funding must indicate whether the applicant (or group to which the applicant belongs) has other funding at their disposal. Specify the following for all existing grants and grants that have been applied for:
- project title
- funding source
- main applicant
- amount available
- status (funded or pending)
- how the funding applied for from the Crafoord Foundation relates to funding applied for or received from other financers
The appendix Other funding must also state:
- budget motivation: to what are the costs related?
Application to be made via the FundPro application system and to be submitted by
Thursday 1 February 2024 kl. 16:00 at the latest.